Repair Tips for Vintage Enesco Musicals

Enesco Directory

Knittin' Pretty Musical

Do You Need An Adapter For Your Enesco Musical?

I took the Enesco Knittin’ Pretty Musical to Radio Shack to find a replacement power supply and was delighted to find one.

Product information:

The name of the product is Enercell Universal 300MA AC Adapter: Radio Shack item no. 2730315. It’s a universal power supply, priced at $17.99. The Enercell package includes the transformer and an assortment of plugs (Adaptaplugs E, F, H, J, L and M). Mine took  the “F” plug, which was included in the package. Enercell also sells plugs separately if the ones included in the box do not fit your device.

A sales technician and electronics genius at Radio Shack helped me. He had my problem solved in minutes. Fortunately, our hometown Radio Shack is a Corporate Store, and has features not available at all Radio Shacks. Hopefully, you will find the same great selection and technicians at at store near you.

enercell AC-to-DC Adapter

Shop online for a power source

Shop online at Radio Shack. Enter “2730315” in the search box, and it will pull up the Enercell Universal 300MA AC Adapter.

The output volts and amps are important for your musical to play at the proper speed. If you are in doubt as to the voltage and amps your musical requires, go to a corporate Radio Shack. The Enercell display includes an assortment of plugs for you to fit to your device.

Enercell display at Radio Shack

Basic Operating Instructions

In the Good Old Summertime Musical

In The Good Old Summertime

See enlarged view: Enesco original transformer

Expert Repair Tips From an Enesco Technician

E-mail greetings from a repair Expert: “Enesco music boxes hold fond memories for me.” And with that sentiment and a long history with manufacturing for Enesco, our expert forwarded some key advice from Hong Kong, hoping he could extend long-distant assistance to those of us who share his love for these delightful inventions that some times stop working.

He writes: Normally, the electrical-operated music boxes consist of four main parts:

A common happening is that the plastic parts may become brittle over time. ... Also, the lubricant (i.e. the grease at the gear and the lever linkage) can dry completely, which "sticks" the entire gear mechanism.

The gear box/ linkage mechanism differs among the music boxes. Therefore, different techniques are needed to fix the unique, broken Musicals.

Trouble Shooting Check List

_Check the transformer and whether its output matches with the wordings printed at the outside of the transformer. The output voltage is 9V and 500mA. For those giant music boxes, such as Doll House and The Amusement Park, they need 1000mA (or 1A ).

_Check the output current and the voltage of the PCBA. The PCBA provides output voltage to the mechanical sound module and the gear box w/the lever linkage. The output voltage to the mechanical sound module is not adjustable, while it is adjustable for the gear box w/ the lever linkage. If I remember right, these two output voltages should not be over 3V.

_For the mechanical sound module, it is motor-driven. There is a comb-like plate, and it is rubbed against by a cylindrical drum to play music. Sometimes, the comb-linked plate may become corroded or the strips may break off after years of use.

_If you find that the broken musical no longer plays music or plays with abnormal sound, I would venture to say that the mechanical sound modules are broken, and they cannot be fixed anymore. The mechanical sound module needs to be replaced instead of repaired.

_Check the gear box w/lever linkage. Use Q-tips to remove all the 'dried' lubricant and check whether there is slippage between the metal shaft and the gears.

And last, but not least: It is challenging to find out how to properly open a broken music box in order to work on it! [Our technician bids a fond farewell and leaves us with his best advice and our own ingenuity to figure out the workings of these delightful Musicals]

Good luck!

Power On — Power Off

There are chiefly three power sources found on Enesco Musicals: key wound, on smaller Musicals; lever action (battery powered) on mid-size Musicals, and electronic, for the more complex actions in the mid- and large-size Musicals.

If powered by electricity, you will need an ac/dc transformer/adapter.

Don't bother attempting to find a transformer/adapter like the original plug that came with Musicals from the 90s because they are no longer manufactured. A modern transformer/adapter is readily found at an electronics store or music store that sells electronic musical instruments and equipment.

If, however, you prefer to search for a retro transformer, you may find one at a re-sale shop. I don't advise attempting this, but some people are more resourceful than I am.

Check the label on your music box for the DC volt and amp specifications and search through neighborhood re-sale stores or thrift shops.

We have a hospital auxiliary that sells donated items, and it has a pile of vintage cords and transformers, all of which are a mystery to me. However, look for a transformer with a male phone jack like on headphones that switches the polarity of the current (AC/DC). Take your music box with you if possible to find one with the correct voltage. Happy hunting...